Tag Archives: economic recovery

Can We Grow Our Way Out of Debt?

Here’s an interesting article by Veronique de Rugy and Jason J. Fichtner from the Mercatus Center at George Mason University The United States has both a debt and deficit problem, driven by years of overspending and unfunded promises made by politicians of both parties to pay for health care and retirement benefits to current and future seniors.… Read More »

The 5% recovery: Why most are still in recession

Another interesting article by Jeff Cox on the CNBC web site. How strong the economic recovery has been since the Great Recession ended in 2009 probably depends on viewpoint. For those in the top 5 percent, the recovery has been pretty good. As for the other 95 percent, well … maybe not so much. Post-financial crisis wealth… Read More »

Long-Term Jobless Left Out of the Recovery

Here’s an interesting article, first published in The Wall Street Journal by Ben Casselman, and then republished on the Friends of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce web site. For those left behind by the long, slow economic recovery, time is running out. More than four years after the recession officially ended, 11.5 million Americans are unemployed, many… Read More »

Mort Zuckerman: A Jobless Recovery Is a Phony Recovery

Here’s an OpEd from the Wall Street Journal I think you’ll find very interesting. More people have left the workforce than got a new job during the recovery—by a factor of nearly three. In recent months, Americans have heard reports out of Washington and in the media that the economy is looking up—that recovery from… Read More »

FED Divided on Ending Stimulus

An interesting article by Peter Schroeder, published on the Friends of the US Chamber of Commerce web site Federal Reserve officials are divided over when to cut off economic stimulus and how to tell the public about it, minutes from the central bank’s latest meeting reveal. The minutes from the June 18-19 meeting show Fed officials… Read More »

Many Cities Still See Long Road to Full Jobs Recovery

Here’s an interesting article from USA Today by Tim Mullaney, republished on the Friends of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce website.  More than half of all U.S. metro areas won’t regain the jobs lost in the recession until the second half of 2015 or later, an analysis for the U.S. Conference of Mayors says. Less… Read More »

The Hidden Jobless Disaster

I thought you would be interested in the following story from last week’s The Wall Street Journal. The market tanked Wednesday on bad preliminary job news. And so, when Friday’s jobs report is released, the unemployment rate and the number of new jobs will come in for close scrutiny. Then again, they always attract the most… Read More »

Surprise Factory Downturn Holds Back U.S. Growth

An interesting article from the Bloomberg News by Shobhana Chandra, published on the Friends of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce web site. Manufacturing (NAPMPMI) in the U.S. unexpectedly shrank in May at the fastest pace in four years, showing slowdowns in business and government spending are holding back the world’s largest economy. The Institute for Supply Management’s factory… Read More »

GAO Report Paints Bleak Fiscal Outlook for States, Local Governments

An important report published on the Governing.com web site A new report by the Government Accountability Office forecasts a gloomy outlook for state and local government budgets, finding an ever-widening gap between projected revenues and expenses for years to come. States and localities will record operating balances with an aggregate deficit of 1.6 percent of… Read More »